Saturday, August 25, 2012

New School Year, New Plan

I am now officially a 1-to-1 iPad and digital kindergarten classroom. I had iPads last year but had to share 30 of them with other classrooms. I am writing this blog with excitement about the possibilities for my students and myself and apprehension because I feel I do not really know what I am doing with all of this technology. This will really be a year of learning, trying, succeeding, and sometime failing at becoming a successful digital learner.

Installed in my classroom is an apple tv, wireless projector, and ziggy. I probably am missing something and writing/spelling something wrong as well. I just don't know.

One of the big questions this year as I set up my classroom is how to position my learning spaces (rug time and student tables) to optimize my technology and make it most usable for me and my students. I am still working this out. I anticipated where the equipment would be housed prior to getting it. (School started August 10th; equipment arrived and was installed August 24th.) I already see a potential problem. I am using the white board (the only white board in the room) as one location for the projector. I already see that the projector needs to sit in the middle of my rug to have the optimal picture projected on the white board. Have to fix that somehow. The other side of the room has observation windows so I had a screen installed that can be lowered for use but also retracted when not in use. The same projector for the front of the room has to be wheeled to the back of the room. Not ideal but definitely doable. I already taped an extension cord to the floor and it goes under the carpet. I think that since that cart has been in the classroom from the beginning of the year, they students are getting used to it. They haven't tripped on cords and most cords are taped to the floor anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment